Looking for ways how to respond to WYD from a guy?
There is a lot more to WYD “What Are You Doing?” than meets the eye. Most guys don’t want to know what you’re doing, literally.
They want to know more about you, if you’re free, and are often letting you know that they like you.
Here’s a look at how you can tell what a guy wants when he asks, “WYD?”, and how you should respond.
What Does WYD Mean in Texting?
Text speak, abbreviations, acronyms, and so on can be confusing and are often misinterpreted.
So, first of all, let’s make sure we’re all on the same page when talking about “WYD”.
WYD means “What (are) you doing?”
People tend to use WYD when texting as a way to quickly ask what someone is doing without typing out the full words.
How to Respond to WYD From a Guy
WYD is commonly used as an abbreviation or slang when texting, but it doesn’t always literally mean you’re asking what someone is doing.
Especially not when it’s being sent by a guy to a girl.
If a guy texts you “WYD”, here are some of the ways you can respond depending on what you want their reaction – or the outcome – to be:
Related – Here’s how to ask a guy what he really wants!
How to Respond to WYD if You’re in the ‘Friend’s Zone’
If you think a guy likes you but you want to keep things in the friend’s zone, some polite replies that make this clear are:
- “Just doing some work, pretty busy but we should hang out soon?” – This is a polite way of leaving it open to hang out depending on what he replies.
- “Chilling with friends, what’s up?” – This makes it clear you’re not able to hang out one-on-one while asking what they’re up to.
- “Weird, I was just about to ask you the same thing!” – This is a good way of bouncing the question back at them if you don’t know what to say.
- “Nothing much, we could hang out if you’re bored, too.” – A non-committal response that sets those friend’s barriers.
- “I’m [insert what you’re literally doing, e.g. the dishes, watching TV, etc]” – By responding in a literal manner you’re defusing any kind of flirting.
How to Respond to WYD if You Like the Guy
When a guy asks you WYD he’s interested to know what you’re doing, and it’s likely that he likes you.
If you like him, it’s certainly a good time to respond with something to find out if he does like you!
Some of the things you can reply with are:
- “Not much, I’m free if you’re free.” – This is self-explanatory, you’re up for hanging out if he is.
- [Insert another acronym or abbreviation] – You could reply with an equally lazy abbreviation or acronym to make him smile.
- “I was hoping you were going to ask, what took you so long?” – This is a great response to see if he responds with something flirty.
- “Just waiting for a good offer to come in.” – This couldn’t be more clear, if he’s interested, he’s going to make it obvious.
- “You’re welcome to come round and find out!” – Somewhat flirty, but this kind of comment also makes it clear you enjoy their company.
How to Respond if You Want to Distance Yourself
If a guy is bothering you too often or you feel like he’s not getting the message, here are some ways to respond (or not respond) that sets a clear boundary:
- “…” – You could just not respond. It’s not that rude, after all, he couldn’t even be bothered to spell out the words properly.
- “Just hanging out with my boyfriend, is there something up?” – This is about as clear as it gets that you’re not interested in that way, even if you don’t have a boyfriend.
- “I’m in the middle of a film, what’s up?” – This response makes it clear you’re busy, so if he’s looking to hang out he’s going to have to wait till you’re ready.
- “Why are you so interested?” – This could come across pretty cold, but if that’s what’s necessary.
- “All sorts, I have quite the hectic day planned!” – Making it clear your calendar is pretty busy should put him off from pushing you to hang out.
How Do You Respond to WYD in a Flirty Way?
Want to respond to WYD in a flirty way to see where you can take the conversation? Here are some flirty responses that should do the trick:
- “Not you, ’cause you’re not here.” – This is fairly direct and best used if you’re seeing someone, but can also be a great ice breaker.
- “Why don’t you come and find out?” – This is a flirty way of inviting someone round and is sure to intrigue or excite them.
- “Just sitting around missing you.” – This is a good response for your partner if you want them to stop asking and start doing something!
- “That’s for me to know and for you to find out.” – This is a classic teaser and sure to get a flirt response back.
- “Nothing that’s too important to stop if you’re coming round.” – This is a nice way to make someone feel special (even if you’re actually bored).
- “I was about to go and get something to eat, wanna come?” – A nice subtle reply that could mean you’re asking them out on a date, or just a casual hangout.
- “Daydreaming about what we could be doing if we were in the same room.” – This is a bold move, use it carefully!
- “Nothing, honestly, I’m bored and in need of some stimulation.” – Another bold, flirty reply that puts the ball in the other person’s court.
What Do You Say When a Guy Says WYD?
I’m always open to hearing more about what gals and guys have said in response to “WYD” before, please share any experiences you have in the comments section to help others.
Image credits – Photo by Noelle Rebekah on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.