Are you trying to think of the best way how to break up with a married man over text?
I’m not here to judge your situation, but I am going to give you some tips and examples of what you can say to a married man over text to break up with him.
Here are some examples of what you could say that you should be able to easily tweak to your individual situation:
How to Break up With a Married Man Over Text – 20 Text Examples
- “I’m sorry, but I can’t do this anymore. I need to end our affair.”
- “It’s not you, it’s me. I’m just not able to deal with all the pressure of our affair right now.”
- “I’ve been thinking about this a lot and I think it would be best if we ended things.”
- “I don’t want to hurt you, but I think it’s time we ended our relationship before we get even deeper into this.”
- “I know this is hard, but I think it’s for the best if we stop seeing each other. It’s just too much pressure to deal with the potential fallout of our actions.”
- “It’s not that I don’t care about you, but I can’t keep doing this knowing that you’re married.”
- “I hope you understand why I’m doing this, but I have to end things between us. It’s just not right looking at our current situations.”
- “It hurts me to write this, but I have to do it for everyone involved. We have to take a break until we figure things out in our private lives.”
- “I didn’t know things were going to go as far as they have, I have to take a break from seeing you.”
- “I can’t lie to you any longer, the guilt of what we’re doing is getting to me and I think we should take a break.”
- “My feelings for you are as strong as ever, but I just can’t carry on sneaking around like we are. I think it’s best if we take a break.”
- “I just don’t want to be the other woman any longer, maybe things will be different when you’re not married.”
- “Under different circumstances, I’m sure things would have been very different for us, but I can’t carry on like this – we need to take a break.”
- “I don’t want to be the one responsible for breaking up your marriage, I think it would be best if we stopped seeing each other until you sort things out.”
- “I hate being your dirty little secret, we need to stop seeing each other until you’re single and I can be seen out in public with you.”
- “It’s just becoming too difficult to carry on adjusting my life to work around yours all while you go home to your wife every night, I can’t go on like this.”
- “You’re clearly dealing with this affair better than I am. I can’t do this any longer so I’m letting you know that until your situation changes I don’t want to see you again.”
- “I’ve been thinking about us a lot recently and I’ve decided that we need to cool things off, at least until your current situation with your wife changes.”
- “I’m putting an end to us right now. You’ve had more than long enough to leave your wife and take our relationship seriously, but it’s clear that you’re not going to do so.”
- “I’m so tired of always hiding, lying, and being available when you’re free. I love you, but I can’t continue like this while you’re still married. I hope you understand”
Tips for Breaking up With a Married Man Over Text
Breaking up with a married man is not easy if you have feelings for him, but if it’s come to the point where it feels right, you have to do something.
A few things you should keep in mind when breaking up with a married man over text:
- Be honest with him about your feelings and why you’re ending things. This is your chance to speak your mind, don’t leave anything important unsaid.
- Be assertive and firm in your decision to break up with him. I’m sure he’s going to try and change your mind so you’ll have to be strong.
- Don’t give him false hope by saying things like “maybe in the future” or “when you’re single” if you don’t mean it.
- Keep your texts short and to the point, the last thing you want is to go back and forth with walls of text.
- Block his number after you’ve sent your final text so that you don’t give in to temptation and start texting him again if you really want to draw a line.
Of course, you need to take into account your own situation and relationship with this man and tailor what you say and do.
Don’t Give Him an Ultimatum if You Want Him to Leave His Wife
It’s tempting to give a married man an ultimatum if you want him to leave his wife and be with you, but this is rarely the right thing to do.
It’s up to a married man if he’s going to leave his wife, and he needs to do it for all the right reasons, not because he feels pressured.
Ending things with him should be enough to make him sort his life out and decide what he really wants from his future.
He’s gotten used to getting his own way and having the best of both worlds, both you and his wife.
You’re doing the right thing by pulling away and leaving him to make a decision on who he wants to be with, you or his wife.
If you carry on seeing him as his mistress, there is a good chance he will never make a decision – you’re doing the right thing.
If he doesn’t leave his wife, as hard as it is to take, it proves that you did the right thing and that he was just using you as his side piece.
If he does leave his wife, this is a situation that I’ll leave up to the two of you to sort out!
Image credits – Photo by Magnet.me on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.