When someone says to you, “tell me a secret”, it can be incredibly uncomfortable.
Secrets are, well, exactly that… a secret.
You’re not supposed to tell anyone your secrets. You may want to, that’s up to you – but if you don’t want to reveal a secret, you should never feel pressured to.
If you’re asked to reveal a secret by someone, especially a close friend, the best way to avoid doing so without offending them is to give them a funny response.
Funny responses to questions always help to relieve the pressure and change the course of a conversation.
Here are some funny responses to “tell me a secret” that you can try using next time someone asks you to reveal something you don’t want to:
Funny Responses to “Tell Me a Secret”
- “I could reveal a secret, but then I’d have to erase you.” – Always a good response to a question you don’t want to answer, but try not to be too serious with the delivery!
- “You wouldn’t be able to live with what you’d hear.” – Another response that could either be funny or a little scary, pick the person carefully.
- “If I told you, it wouldn’t be a secret now would it?” – This should be enough to stop them from pressing you further.
- “Are you asking for a secret about me, or something I know about you?” – Nothing quite like adding a bit of suspense to the situation!
- “Ok, you ready? I’m a secret spy, nothing you know about me is real.” – The classic ‘I’m a spy’ distraction tactic.
- “I know a secret about you, but I can’t tell you.” – That will give them something to think about.
- “Sometimes I just stare at people for ages and don’t know why.” – Proceed to stare at them for as long as you can.
- “Well, if you’re ready for this – I make a really bad cup of tea.” – If they can’t tell you’re joking, they really don’t know you very well.
- “If you knew what happened to the last person who asked me that, you wouldn’t be asking.” – Try not to be too menacing, say this with a smile, and change the topic.
- “The moon landing wasn’t real.” – Nothing quite like bringing up a controversial topic like the moon landing.
- “You’re adopted.” – This is another reply that you need to be careful with. Some people find it funny, but it could be a sensitive issue for some.
- “I have a crush on you.” – If you actually do have a crush on them this could be the start of something wonderful!
Related – How to ask a guy “where is our relationship going?“
Why Does Someone Ask You to Tell Them a Secret?
There are a few reasons why someone might ask you to tell them a secret, the most common reasons are:
They think you’re hiding something – They might actually think you’re hiding something from them and try to get you to tell them.
They want to be closer to you – It’s not the best way to get to know someone better, but knowing something about someone that no one else knows does feel kind of special.
It’s a power play – This is the one you need to be careful about. Some people like to know secrets about people to gain a sense of power. You need to be careful telling people secrets with these intentions.
They have something to tell you – They might be asking you to reveal a secret so they can get something off their chest they’ve been wanting to tell you.
Should You Tell Someone a Secret About Yourself?
You should only ever tell someone a secret about yourself if you feel comfortable doing so, really want to, and feel although it will help.
It can be difficult to keep secrets for long periods. Especially if it’s something that’s weighing heavily on you, and might even be bothering you.
Sometimes it’s good for you to share a secret you’ve been keeping.
It can help you form a stronger relationship with someone, share the burden you’ve been carrying, and even help someone if it’s relating to them.
Secrets are very personal, it’s something you’re going to have to think about for yourself.
Just be sure to take your time when thinking about whether or not you want to reveal a secret, don’t do it in the heat of the moment or when you’re feeling emotional.
What Will You Do if Someone Wants to Tell You a Secret?
If someone tells you that they want to tell you a secret, it’s not something that you can take lightly.
It’s almost certainly going to be something serious if they feel the need to tell someone.
If you don’t feel emotionally prepared to deal with something, or if you think it’s going to harm your relationship with that person or someone else close, you can say you don’t want to hear it.
It’s not easy telling someone you don’t want to hear their secret. You may forever wonder what it was they were going to say – and never get to know.
If you are ready to hear it, however, you should tell the person that you’re there for them and you’d love to hear what they have to say.
Give them time to tell you, don’t put any pressure on, and be there as a friend with open ears to hear what they have to say.
It depends slightly on what they tell you but also try hard not to judge them, especially at the moment they tell you.
They’ve chosen to tell you a secret because they think you’ll support and help them, so do that first.
Image credits – Photo by kevin laminto on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.