Need to know what to say when a guy calls you ‘pretty’?
Being called pretty is quite the compliment, and it can often leave you speechless or stumbling about what to reply.
Well, that’s never going to happen again!
Here are loads of things you can say back when a guy calls you pretty, from the fun to the serious and flirtatious!
What to Say When a Guy Calls You Pretty To Be flirtatious
If a guy calls you pretty and you think he’s flirting with you or you want to flirt with him, some of the things you can say are:
- “Thank you, I think you’re pretty handsome yourself!”
- “I like your style.”
- “You have great taste.”
- “I was about to say the same to you.”
- “I bet you say that to all the girls you fancy?”
- “Are you making a pass on me?”
- “Pretty what? Pretty good…pretty fun?”
- “You’re flirting with me, aren’t you?”
- “You’re not too shabby yourself.”
- “Pretty enough that you’ll ask me to go out sometime?”
Related – How to respond to being called an ‘angel‘ or ‘hun‘.
What to Say When a Guy Calls You Pretty To Freind Zone Him
If a guy is flirting with you but you want to keep your relationship strictly friends, it’s important you respond in a way that gives him that message.
That doesn’t mean you have to be blunt or say something to upset him though, here are some things you can say:
- “Thanks, you’re too kind.”
- “That’s such a nice thing to say to a friend, I’m flattered.”
- “You’re making me blush, you’re such a good friend.”
- “You’re like a brother to me, but I’ll take that compliment.”
- “Is there a punchline? Or are you actually flirting here?”
- “You know we’re both in the friend zone, right?”
- “Thanks, but why do guys I fancy never say that to me?”
- “You’re an awesome friend, that’s sweet of you to say.”
- “Aww it’s nice of you to say something like that, thanks.”
- “And that’s why we’ll always be friends, thanks though.”
What to Say When a Guy Calls You Pretty To Keep It Light
If you’re the kind of person who likes to keep the mood light when a guy might be hitting on you, there are some replies you can use to do that.
Here are some responses to a guy flirting or complimenting you that should add a little light humor to the situation:
- “I know, thanks!”
- “You just noticed?”
- “Yeah, I keep getting people telling me that, it’s funny.”
- “Are you practicing your pick-up lines on me?”
- “Did someone ask you to come and say that to me?”
- “Are you talking to me or someone who just walked past?”
- “Am I supposed to say you’re pretty, too?”
- “You should see me without makeup on!”
- “Thanks, but this is my good side, don’t approach from the other direction.”
- “Thanks, I’ll pass it on to my mom as I owe it all to her.”
What Does It Mean If A Guy Says You’re Pretty?
If a guy calls you pretty, it’s just as important to know why he’s saying it as what you’re going to reply.
It really comes down to three main reasons:
He’s Flirting with You
This is the most obvious reason why a guy would call you pretty as it’s a pretty bold move.
However, it’s not always easy to tell if a guy is flirting with you or just being friendly.
If he’s giving you compliments, touching you, making eye contact and generally behaving differently around you than he does with other people, then there’s a good chance he fancies you.
I’d look out for those other cues or how he takes your response if you suspect he is flirting – there will always be signs.
He Wants to Get to Know You
If a guy you don’t know or who isn’t usually very chatty with you suddenly calls you pretty, it might just be that he wants to start a conversation with you.
He could think you’re attractive and is trying to give himself a reason to talk to you so he can get to know you better.
This is especially likely if he’s not giving you any other compliments or acting differently around you.
This is a really nice reason why a guy would give you such a compliment and it’s certainly grounds for good friends material!
He Just Appreciates how Attractive You Are
Sometimes, a guy might call you pretty as he just genuinely thinks you’re attractive.
This could be because of how you’re dressed, your hairstyle or anything else about your appearance that day – or maybe you’re just a stunner!
I’m sure you’ll agree, it’s always flattering to hear a nice compliment like this. If he’s not flirting with you there’s no harm in enjoying the compliment!
Related – Here is what it means when a guy calls you ‘mama‘ or doesn’t call you for a week!
How Do You Respond to You’re Pretty on Instagram?
If you’ve received the compliment over Instagram instead of in-person (as this seems to be more common nowadays), you can still use all the same replies.
People tend to be a bit more open and brave online than in person, so don’t be surprised if the guy responds with something more direct if he is flirting.
At least you get time to think about how you’re going to respond over Instagram, and there are no visible signs that you’re blushing!
Image credits – Photo by Jed Villejo on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.