What does it mean when a guy hugs you goodbye?
Does it mean he likes you? Or is he just being friendly?
Hugging goodbye is an interesting body language to take notice of, it can mean a number of things depending on the guy and your situation.
But if you pay attention to some other cues, you can figure out what a guy’s intentions are.
Here are 6 of the most common reasons why guys hug goodbye, what it may mean to you, and how you should react:
- 6 Meanings to Explain Why a Guy Will Hug You Goodbye
- How Do You Tell if a Guy Likes You Through Hugs?
6 Meanings to Explain Why a Guy Will Hug You Goodbye
1. He Hugs All of His Friends – So Consider Yourself a Friend
When a guy hugs you goodbye and he’s the type that greets or parts ways with all of his friends with a hug – then chances are, he sees you as just a friend.
If he’s a hugger, there is no sign that he’s interested in anything more than friendship.
I’m not sure if that disappoints you or not, but it is what it is. If you’re not the kind of person who hugs friends, I know how weird it must feel – but it’s not weird to him.
2. He Wants an Excuse to Get Close to You and Make Contact
If a guy is not too sure whether or not he likes you, because maybe he’s not had a chance to talk to you or get close, a hug is a great way to get closer.
It’s not always romantic interest that makes someone want to hug you, it’s more of a curiosity thing.
It’s especially effective for guys who are shy or scared of being pushed away if they start getting too close.
Go with the flow and see how it feels. Good hugs release feel-good hormones, see how you feel when he hugs you.
3. He Likes You – Probably a Lot
If he’s not a hugger and he leans in to give you a hug when he’s saying goodbye, then you’re right to think it’s a sign that he is interested in you.
A hug is obviously a very personal thing. There is a lot of body contact, you can smell and sense each other, and if there is some tension or energy between the two of you, you’ll feel it.
If you want further proof he’s interested, start paying close attention to some of the other classic signs that he’s interested in you, such as:
- He can’t take his eyes off you
- He finds excuses to make physical contact with you
- He’s always willing to help you out
- He’s always trying to make you laugh
- He goes out of his way to do things for you
And so on. If you get a gut feeling that he likes you – and he hugs you – he probably does!
4. He’s Feeling Sad and Might Not See You for A While
If a guy hugs you goodbye and he seems a little sad, maybe it’s because he has a lot on his mind and is in need of comfort.
Hugs are universally comforting, people feel great after a hug both when they’re already happy – or if they’re feeling sad.
You’ll be able to tell if he’s feeling a bit down. The hug will be a little longer and slower, and you’ll see it in his eyes.
If he’s a good friend, maybe use this opportunity to reach out to him and check that everything is OK.
5. He Loves the Feeling that Comes with A Good Hug
Hugs make people feel good. There’s scientific evidence to back it up too!
Hugging releases various ‘feel good’ hormones, like oxytocin, dopamine, and serotonin – as I’m sure you’re aware!
So, if a guy hugs you goodbye and he just seems really happy – then that might be the reason why.
He’s not looking for anything more than the great feeling that comes with hugging someone you care about.
And that’s OK! If you’re friends and are comfortable with each other, why not share a hug and make the world a little bit better.
6. He Wants to Leave an Impression on You
If you’ve just met a guy and he hugs you goodbye, it’s probably because he’s trying to make a good impression on you.
First impressions are important after all, and if he thinks hugging is the way to get to know you better – then that’s what he’ll do.
The key here is to pay attention to how the hug feels, what he says if anything, and how he looks at you.
There are always clues as to what a guy is thinking and feeling, you just have to be on your a-game and paying attention.
How Do You Tell if a Guy Likes You Through Hugs?
If you think a guy that is hugging you likes you – or maybe you’re hoping he does – here are some other body language cues to look out for that suggest he does:
- He hugs you for longer than a usual ‘goodbye’ hug
- He squeezes you a little too tight
- He doesn’t want to let go
- He holds you a little bit too close
- His face is in your hair/on your neck
- He comments on how nice you smell
- When he pulls away, he lingers for a few seconds before actually leaving
- He looks deep in your eyes when he’s hugging you
That’s the act of the hug itself, there are other signs to look for when you’re around the guy.
- He’s always looking at you and smiling
- He finds excuses to touch you or get close to you
- He asks what you’re up to and is interested in you
- He compliments you
- You can just feel it!
If you pay attention, trust me, you’re going to know that a guy likes you more than just a friend – he won’t be able to hide it!
Image credits – Photo by Tani Eisenstein on Unsplash