Wondering how to reply to ‘wassup’ in the right way so you give off the correct message?
Saying wassup, or wazzup, what’s up, what’s going on, etc, is a common way to greet someone.
But how you respond actually says a lot about you and where you want the conversation to go!
Here are some common, unusual, funny, and even flirty ways to respond when someone asks you wassup:
How to Reply to “Wassup” in A Casual Way
‘Wassup’ is most often used in a casual way and doesn’t always deserve a detailed or serious reply.
If you want to take it in this manner and just reply in a way that lets the person know you’re good and you acknowledge them, you could say something like:
- “What’s good?”
- “Just chillin'”
- “Not much, what about you?”
- “Hey! How are you?”
- “I’m good, thanks for asking!”
- “What’s new?”
- “Sup, I’m good thanks.”
- “Same as usual, how’s you?”
- “Just hanging out, not doing much.”
How to Reply to “Wassup” When You’re Busy
If you’re busy and someone asks you wassup, they’re probably looking to make small talk so you might want to reply in a way that tells them you’re busy.
You could say something like:
- “I’m in the middle of something, but I’ll talk to you soon!”
- “Just finishing up some work, but I’ll be free in a bit!”
- “I’m about to do X, but afterward I’ll talk to you!”
- “Things are great thanks, but I’m just doing something so I’ll message you later.”
- “Not much, but I got loads to do right now so I’ll catch you later.”
- “Hey, great to see/hear from you – I’ll message you in a bit when I’m free.”
How to Reply to “Wassup” if You Want to Get to Know Someone Better
When someone asks you ‘wassup’ it’s actually a great ice breaker if you want to get to know them better.
Some of the things you could reply to get the conversation flowing are:
- “I’m good, thanks. How about you?”
- “Just taking it easy. What are you up to today?”
- “Lots of things! What’s on your mind?”
- “I’m good, what have you been up to lately?”
- “Just enjoying the day. What’s up with you lately?”
- “Not much, good to see you though I’ve been meaning to ask you something…”
- “Hey, I’m better for seeing you!”
As long as you’re either asking them an open question back or saying something to pique their interest, it should open up a conversation.
How to Reply to “Wassup” in A Sarcastic or Funny Way
For some (not saying me) introductions like ‘wassup’ or ‘how’s you’ can be a bit mundane and lazy.
If you feel like giving a sarcastic or funny response to show you’re not taking it seriously, you could say something like:
- “Oh, you know, the usual – work, eat, sleep, repeat.”
- “Just living the dream!”
- “Wassup with you, apparently not much!”
- “Not dead yet!”
- “The sky, rent, gas prices, loads of things are up.”
- “Why don’t you tell me?”
- “Nothing worth getting excited about.”
- “The opposite of down, as you ask.”
- “You could at least ask like you care.”
How to Reply to “Wassup” in A Flirty Way
If you’re being asked ‘wassup’ by someone you like, why not take this opportunity to get a little flirty with them?
Depending on how well you know them and how brave you’re feeling, you could say something like:
- “I’m good now that you’re here!”
- “Just missing your beautiful face!”
- “I was just thinking about you actually!”
- “I’m better for hearing from you.”
- “What’s up with you gorgeous?”
- “Well, things could be better if you want to cheer me up?”
- “Let’s skip the small talk, are we going out sometime?”
- “Are you flirting with me? I’d like to think so.”
- “Wouldn’t you like to know?”
- “I had a dream about you last night, actually.”
Does It Mean Someone Likes You if They Ask You ‘Wassup’?
It’s hard to say if someone likes you just because they ask you ‘wassup.’ It really could go either way.
It’s best not to jump to conclusions over such a common and trivial introduction.
It’s fair to say that they consider you a friend, but if you want to know for sure if someone likes you more than a friend, look out for other body language cues or things they say.
Do they seem interested in getting to know you better?
Do they laugh at your jokes?
Do they compliment you often?
Do they find excuses to touch you?
You could always go with one of the flirty responses to the question ‘wassup’ and see how they react.
If they seem interested, then there’s a good chance they like you too!
Image credits – Photo by Hannah Busing on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.