Want to arm yourself with funny responses to being asked on a date? I’m not going to tell you if you should say ‘yes’ or ‘no’, but I can certainly help with how you can reply.
Let’s be real here, being asked out by someone can range from the best moment of your life that you’ll never forget – to the absolute worst.
Whether you get asked out all the time and you need to swat advances away like flies or you just want to be prepared, knowing what you’re going to say will eliminate that awkwardness.
In this article, I’m going to give you both some funny ways you can say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to being asked on a date.
Take a look, and feel free to leave me a comment if you have an awesome response to add to the list, thanks!
Funny Ways To Say “Yes” to a Date
Maybe you’ve been blindsided by someone you never imagined would ask you out or maybe it’s long overdue – how you say ‘yes’ could be something you talk about for years to come!
Here are some funny and unique ways you can say ‘yes’:
- I thought you’d never ask, it’s always been a ‘yes’.
- Sure, I mean, I have some spaces in my calendar and am sure I can fit a date in.
- I knew today was going to be a good day – I read it in my morning tea leaves.
- If you’re paying, I’m in.
- Who put you up to this? It’s a yes anyway though.
- Well, it depends…on how much fun you can promise me.
- Yes, yep, sure, OK, would love to, did I say ‘yes’?
- Sure, I’m free later, tomorrow, the day after, any day you want to go.
- I wanted to act cool and pretend I wasn’t sure….but I’d love to!
- Well, seeing as you asked in such a nice way, absolutely!
- Because you’re the first person to ask me out today, I’m going to say yes.
- I’m saying yes, but if I get a better offer I’ll let you know.
- Yes. Could I have said that any faster?
- No…..chance that I was going to say anything other than YES!
Related – Here is a list of funny responses to use in reply to a compliment.
Funny Ways To Say “No” to a Date
Being asked out by someone you really don’t want to – or can’t – go on a date with can be a cringe moment – but it doesn’t have to be.
The best way to let someone down without hurting their feelings is to inject a little good humor.
There is a thin line between making light of the situation and making fun of the person though. The ways to say ‘no’ below are designed to let the person down lightly.
Here are some funny ways to say ‘no’ when you’re asked out:
- I was really hoping you weren’t going to ask so that I didn’t feel bad, but I’m sorry, I can’t.
- If I said yes I only get in the way of you finding someone who is right for you.
- Sorry, it’s not you but I’m just not dating right now.
- I wish there was an easier way to say this, but no thanks.
- I love how you asked, that’s going to come in handy when you find the right person – but it’s not me.
- It’s hard work turning down dates all the time – good luck next time.
- It’s always cringe saying no, so I’m just going to stand here and not say it.
- What is it that makes me look single or available? I really need to change that.
- Sorry, I’m dating myself, that doesn’t leave room for someone else.
- My parents really wouldn’t approve, I’m going to have to say no.
- We don’t have enough in common for it to work – let’s save the time finding out.
- We mix like oil and water, neither of us wants to experience that.
How Should You Respond When Asked on a Date?
There is no right or wrong (within reason) way to respond when you’re asked out on a date – but you do want to be cool-headed.
Being asked out is exciting, and it often comes as a surprise. The only way to not get flustered when you’re surprised by something that may make you blush is to be prepared.
That’s why it’s important to know what you’ll say if you are asked out. Nothing wrong with being positively prepared.
Humor is one of the best ways to respond to being asked out, as long as it’s well-received.
So, it’s important to read the situation and know how well the person asking you out will respond to a little joke.
If you’re a naturally humorous and playful person, then you absolutely should let part of your personality shine through without clamming up.
After all, I bet your quick-witted remarks and fun sense of humor are a large part of why this person is asking you out!
A few things I always tell people they should keep in mind when responding to being asked out are:
- Jokes aside, make sure you’re 100% clear in your answer – it’s only fair on the other person.
- Don’t lead people on. If you’re indecisive, don’t leave the other person hanging on, let them know that you will get back to them.
- Treat them how you’d like to be treated. It takes a lot of nerve to ask someone out, treat them with the same respect you’d want.
If you follow these principles, I’m sure you can turn that moment where someone asks you out into a mutually agreeable and enjoyable experience – regardless of your answer.
At worst, you’re probably going to end up better friends with the person who asked you out. That’s a win.
Related – If you simply want to say “I don’t care” to someone – you’ll love this post.
Image credits – Photo by Alan Quirvan on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.