Looking for funny responses to compliments?
You’ve come to the right place.
I’ve also added some witty and clever responses too, for, you know – when the situation requires something whittier.
How Are We Supposed to Deal With Compliments?
Compliments are strange things, aren’t they? There are few things nicer to hear, yet often we have suspicions that the complimenter has ulterior motives.
Because, let’s be honest, not many people throw out compliments just because.
Some do though. I don’t want to discredit those awesome people. And when they do, you need to be prepared with the most appropriate reply to make the most of the situation.
The most generic reply to a compliment is always going to be “thank you”.
As I explained, however, sometimes responding to a compliment requires a funny response. I’ll leave you to be the judge of when it’s most appropriate, all I can do is arm you with loads of funny responses!
Funny Responses to Compliments
- You’re not the first person today to say that…or the second.
- If only I had a dollar for every time I was told that….I’d be rich.
- Do you say that to anyone that looks at you?
- You just can’t keep your thoughts in, can you?
- Well, they do say honesty is the best policy – and I tend to agree.
- I could listen to you complimenting me all day if you’d like to continue.
- Really, thanks, but that’s weird, I was going to say the same to you.
- Flattery won’t get you anywhere with me….but you can keep trying.
- You sound like my mom.
- And to think I didn’t even make any effort today!
- Who dared you to say that?
- It’s difficult being this perfect.
- Are you always this honest?
- Give me some time and I’ll find something to return the compliment over.
- Ok…what do you want?
- Are you on any medications or under the influence of any drugs?
- Now you’ve got my attention, carry on.
- What took you so long to notice?
Witty & Clever Responses to Compliments
- You want something, don’t you?
- Ok, now I think we can be friends.
- You’re saying nice things, but your eyes are saying something else….
- You should see me on a good day.
- I totally agree with you, although some wouldn’t.
- Are you going to wait for a compliment back now?
- You do know you can’t ever unsay things, right?
- Well, when you put it like that, it’s hard not to agree.
- That’s funny, I was just about to say the same to you.
- You’ve just upgraded yourself to my best friend.
- Happy to be of service
Delivery Is Everything
As with anything of a comedic or humorous nature, timing and delivery is everything.
If you know someone is going to pay you a compliment (because they are predictable), rehearse how you respond and the tone you use so you really nail it.
Without ever giving away that you looked up a retort, of course. That’s another golden rule of preparing a funny or witty response.
Receiving compliments is usually a way of putting you on the back foot. Making a quick and sharp reply puts you back on the front foot, and gets the other person back peddling!
That’s what I love about having a reply ready to go.
How Do You Respond to Compliments?
What’s your natural reaction when someone pays you a compliment? Or, do you choose your response carefully depending on why you think that person is paying you a compliment?
I’d love to hear about it, especially if you have any funny, witty, or clever responses to share with the community!
Image credits – Header image by Devon Divine on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.