Are you wondering how to know if a Scottish man likes you?
Scottish guys have an air of mystery and charm about them, an accent that women love, and a sense of adventure.
Still, Scottish guys can be hard to read unless you know what kind of signs and body language cues you’re looking for.
Here are 10 signs to look out for that show you a Scottish man likes you – a lot!
How to Know if a Scottish Man Likes You – 10 Signs!
1. He’s Displaying Flirty Body Language
The most obvious way you can tell if a Scottish guy likes you is by paying attention to his body language.
Scottish guys are not known for just coming out and saying something, look for flirty body language cues like:
- Him leaning in close to you when you’re talking
- Making eye contact and then breaking it suddenly and smiling
- Fiddling or acting nervous around you
If he’s displaying any of these signs, then there’s a good chance he likes you.
Related – Here is how to tell if a Hispanic girl has the hots for you!
2. He’s Very Attentive to You
Another way to know if a Scottish guy likes you is by how much attention he’s giving you.
If he always seems to be around you, wanting to know what you’re up to, and generally just trying to spend time with you – then it’s a good sign that he likes you.
He might also start doing things for you, like getting you coffee, or offering to help you with something.
Scottish guys like to become friends first and earn trust before trying to ask a girl out or take things to the next step.
3. He Defends You and Stands up For You
When a Scottish guy likes you, he’s not going to just sit back and watch if someone is trying to put you down.
Scottish guys are very chivalrous and will jump in to defend people that mean a lot to them, and it’s often a giveaway that they have feelings for someone.
4. He Wants to Show You the Best of Scotland
Scottish guys have a lot to be proud of, from the sights across Edinburgh, lochs, bagpipes, kilts, and whiskey – they have some awesome things to share with someone who has never been there.
If a Scottish man is excited to talk to you about Scotland or wants to take you there, he obviously cares about you.
If you can take him up on his offer, you’re going to be in for a treat I’m sure.
5. He Wants You to Meet His Family and Friends
If a Scottish guy likes you – and this applies to most guys – he’s going to want you to meet the people that are important to him.
This is a huge step for Scottish guys, as they generally don’t introduce just anyone to their family or friends.
Getting approval from their ‘mum’ is a big deal, but as long as you’re yourself I’m sure it’ll go well.
6. He Jokes Around with You and Makes You Laugh
Scottish guys are known for their sense of humor, so it’s no surprise that one of the signs he likes you is if he’s always trying to make you laugh.
Whether it’s teasing you in a friendly way or just making jokes, laughter is definitely a sign of attraction.
And let’s face it, who doesn’t want to be with someone who can make them laugh?
If you’re not used to a guy being so jokey, it might take some getting used to and their humor can be a bit dry and sarcastic, but that’s one of their quirks!
7. He Offers to Cook for You
How often does a guy offer to cook, right?
Well, Scottish guys are known for their skills in the kitchen (just think of all that haggis they must eat!) so if he’s offering to cook for you – he’s definitely interested.
And even if his cooking skills might not be the best, it’s the thought that counts.
Plus, you can always offer to help or cook with him next time.
8. He Wants to Go out For a Drink at A Pub
If a Scottish guy asks you to go for a drink at a pub, he’s definitely interested in you.
Scottish people love their pubs and spending time there, so it’s only natural that they would want to share that with someone they like.
And if he buys you a drink, even better!
Just be careful not to drink too much of that famous Scottish whiskey.
9. He Makes an Effort with Your Friends
If he’s making an effort to get to know your friends and spending time with them, it’s a good sign that he likes you and knows getting close to your friends will help.
He might not be the type of guy to hang out with your girlfriends all the time, but if he’s getting along with them and trying to make a good impression – it means he cares about what you’re up to and what you think about him.
10. You Can Feel It!
If you’re not sure about any of the other signs, sometimes you just have to go with your gut.
You might not be able to explain it, but if you feel like there’s a connection between you and a Scottish guy – chances are he likes you too.
Love, lust, or whatever is going on between the two of you, you’ll feel it – as will he!
So, be brave and go with your heart (or gut, whatever it is you’re feeling fluttering) and see where it takes you.
Related – Here are the secrets of dating Russian and Italian guys!
What to Know About Dating a Scottish Man?
Now that you know how to tell if a Scottish guy likes you, there are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to dating one.
Here are some tips:
- Don’t be offended by their humor. Scottish guys can sometimes come across as sarcastic or blunt, but it’s often all meant in good humor.
- They might not say it, but they’re very sentimental. Scottish guys might not be the best at expressing their emotions, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have any.
- Family is important to them. So if you’re dating a Scottish guy, expect to meet his parents and siblings eventually.
- They’re fiercely loyal. Once you’re in a relationship with a Scottish guy, he’s in it for the long haul.
- They love their whisky (and beer). So if you’re going on a date with a Scottish guy, be prepared for that!
- They’re not all kilted and they don’t all talk like Sean Connery (despite what popular culture might have you believe). So don’t be too disappointed if your guy doesn’t show up in a kilt on your first date.
There you have it, a brief introduction to what Scottish guys are like and what to expect when flirting with or dating one.
If you have any personal experience on this topic – whether you’ve dated one or you are a Scottish man – I’d love to hear about it.
Feel free to leave a comment below with your experiences to help others, thanks!
Image credits – Photo by Altin Ferreira on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.