Do men get butterflies over all the same things that women do?
You bet they do!
Sure, every guy is different, so the feeling of butterflies will vary from one guy to the next – but seeing or knowing they have butterflies is a good sign!
Especially if they’re getting that feeling around you, it shows that you make them a little nervous and excited.
Here’s why and how most guys get butterflies and what it really means:
What Does It Mean When A Guy Gets Butterflies?
If a guy gets butterflies around you, it means that they’re attracted to you.
It also indicates that they may be nervous or anxious about something – usually, it’s because they want to make a good impression on you.
If you make a guy feel comfortable and let him know that it’s okay to be himself around you, the butterflies will usually go away.
There is actually some science behind the fluttery sensation known as ‘butterflies’ that means someone is attracted, likes, or even feels love for someone.
We all have nerves that are activated by pleasure in our stomachs, and when a guy gets those feelings for a girl, he feels an immediate physiological response in the form of butterflies.
It’s completely normal, even though many of us dread the feeling and it’s often accompanied by sweaty palms and other feelings of anxiety.
Related – Guys get nervous before a first date!
How Do You Give a Man Butterflies?
Giving a man butterflies is not something you have complete control over, although there are some things you can do to get a guy’s pulse racing and increase the butterfly sensation!
Some of the things that may give a guy butterflies are:
- Being yourself and being genuine – if he likes you, it’s for being you
- Making eye contact and smiling – that just melts a guy who has the hots for you
- Flirting and being playful – that’ll get his tummy turning over
- Being interested in what he has to say – something as simple as listening can go a long way with some guys
- Touching him – physical contact is incredibly powerful
- Laughing at his jokes – this is a great way to subtly show a guy you’re interested in him
- Dressing in a way that makes you feel confident – and making a guy desire you more!
- Complimenting him – ever received a compliment and had that butterfly feeling in your stomach? I know I have.
All of these things show a guy that you’re interested in him without being too aggressive or pushy.
And, of course, there are always those guys who get butterflies just from knowing you’re interested in them.
Butterflies are a good sign, so if you’ve got a guy who’s getting them around you – enjoy it!
Just don’t make him too nervous or the butterflies might fly away!
How to Help a Guy Who Is Nervous and Has Butterflies Around You
Even though it’s not your fault that you’re so attractive to a guy that he’s getting nervous around you, you may want to save him!
A few things you can do to try and help a guy be a little less nervous around you and help that butterflies disappear are:
- Let him know that it’s okay to be himself around you and that you’re not judging him – that will help him stop stressing about putting a foot wrong
- Reassure him that you’re interested in him and want to get to know him better – this will take away all that nervous energy of “does she, doesn’t she”
- Encourage him to be more confident by complimenting him on things he does well – this goes a long way to making guys feel less self-conscious
- Help him feel more comfortable around you by being friendly and easy to talk to – you might be nervous, too, but if you can take the lead here it’ll help the both of you
- Touch him in a non-threatening way, like lightly touching his arm when you’re talking – this will get his pulse racing at first, but as he becomes more used to it those nerves will go away
Of course, if you’re not interested in the guy and don’t want to lead him on, the best thing you can do is let him know that.
This should also help him deal with some of the anxiety he has around you – although he’ll be feeling something different in the pit of his stomach!
So, Do Men Get Butterflies?
Men can get butterflies just like women do – even more so in fact – a lot of men just try to be macho and put on a brave face about it!
If you’re a guy and you’re getting butterflies around a girl, don’t be afraid to let her know.
It’s cute, and it shows that she’s having an effect on you.
And if you’re a girl who’s interested in a guy, there are plenty of things you can do to give him butterflies – just be yourself!
Does Your Partner Still Give You Butterflies?
Butterflies are not just for people who are newly attracted to one another, if you still get butterflies when your partner looks at you, touches you, or does something else – count yourself lucky.
It means you still have that initial excitement and attraction, even after being together for a while.
Some people might say that’s not possible, but if you’re still getting butterflies then who are they to judge?
Do you still get butterflies around your partner? I’d love to hear about it, drop me a comment below and let me know!
Image credits – Photo by Jaclyn Moy on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.