Arrogant people are among the most annoying people on Earth, seriously.
They have an exaggerated sense of their own importance or abilities, think others are below them, and it’s hard to get them to think differently.
If you know an arrogant person, I’m sure you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.
Sometimes the only way to make an arrogant person shut up, or better see how annoying they’re being, is to insult them.
If you’re looking for some verbal ammo, here is how to insult an arrogant person with some examples that should work:
How to Insult an Arrogant Person
Keep in mind that everyone is different, so you might have to adjust your strategy or exactly what you say depending on who you’re dealing with.
But that said, some of the ways you can use someone’s arrogance against them and insult them are:
1. Calling them out on their facade of superiority: “I see right through your pretense, you don’t fool me!”
2. Pointing out their ignorance: “With all the knowledge you claim to have, why don’t you know this?”
3. Making fun of their inflated ego: “You think so highly of yourself; you should take a step back and look at yourself.”
4. Reminding them that no one is perfect: “Everyone makes mistakes, even you when [point out a mistake]”
5. Put down their opinions: “Your opinion means nothing to me, honestly, we just don’t see things the same way.”
6. Show them up if they are wrong: “You’re wrong and I’m right [show proof]; let’s move on from there.”
7. Mock their self-importance: “It’s cute how you think you’re so important, but you’re the only person who thinks so.”
As you can see, arrogant people set themselves up to be insulted or mocked if you pick up on something they say and prove them they’re wrong.
Just be careful not to say anything too hurtful, I’m sure you don’t want to upset them – you just want to make them take an introspective look at how annoying they’re being.
Comebacks for An Arrogant Person
You could try using or adjusting one or more of the following comebacks:
- “Wow, you think you’re more influential than God, don’t you?”
- “Your opinion must feel very valuable to you, given how often you express it.”
- “Your arrogance should be illegal – it’s way too high.”
- “Your inflated sense of ego makes you look like a clown.”
- “It’s clear you don’t need an audience to feel important – you’re fine entertaining yourself.”
- “You should insert a pin in your ego before it bursts!”
- “Your confidence is outweighed by your lack of knowledge, it’s the strangest thing to me.”
- “You’re quickly becoming the least-liked person in the room – how do you feel about it?”
- “If I had as much ego as you, I’d probably burst.”
- “You think so highly of yourself, you should start a fan club!”
- “I want to believe that you’re not trying to be as arrogant as you’re coming across.”
- “Is there any point in me telling you what I think?”
- “I’m pretty sure the Earth revolves around the sun, not you!”
- “Remember when I asked for your opinion? Me either!”
- “It must hurt when you realize you’re human, just like the rest of us.”
- “It’s going to hit you hard one day when you realize you’re not as smart as you think you are.”
- “And you graduated from which University?”
- “I am not an expert, but I am fairly confident you have issues with exaggerated self-importance.”
- “It’s lucky we don’t all see the world through your tinted glasses.”
- “Have you ever looked up what ‘humility’ means?”
- “Being humble isn’t something you’ve embraced, is it – it’ll catch up with you one day, I’m sure.”
- “Are your parents to blame for making you think you’re above everyone else or is it a conclusion you’ve come to yourself?”
How to Humble an Arrogant Person
There is no better feeling than humbling an arrogant person.
This is the point where they usually realize how they’re acting and how other people are seeing them, and are forced to accept the truth.
The best way to humble an arrogant person is by using facts and not allowing them to get away with false claims.
For example, if they boast about something they haven’t achieved or don’t know as much about it as they claim to do, you can easily point out the truth.
When they provide incorrect information, don’t be afraid to call them out and politely explain why they’re wrong.
This can be a tough thing to do as arrogant people will often become aggressive or confrontational so try and save face.
But don’t be afraid to stand your ground and argue with evidence.
Show them that not only are they wrong, but you’re right – and they may eat a slice of humble pie!
Why Are Some People so Arrogant?
It’s important to understand why most people are arrogant.
This’ll help you better understand their motivations and more importantly, help you better tailor your comeback for maximum effect.
Arrogance is often a defense mechanism that masks deeper issues such as fear, insecurity or low self-esteem.
It’s an attempt to protect oneself from criticism and rejection.
Arrogant people tend to think – or act as they think – they’re better than others, and this is often a way of compensating for their lack of self-esteem.
So when you come up with an insult for an arrogant person, it’s important to keep in mind that there may be underlying issues at play and approach them with a little compassion.
I know how annoying it is to have an arrogant person making condescending remarks and putting you down, but I think it’s still important that you don’t personally attack them.
A comeback that burns or roasts them a little is fine, as is a light insult – as long as it’s all in a good fun nature.
Just remember, even arrogant people have feelings!
Image credits – depositphotos.com/stock-photo-young-couple
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.