Let’s be real, there are way too many annoying people – it’s inevitable you’re going to keep bumping into them.
When someone says or does something annoying, instead of getting angry the best thing you can do is say something witty, clever, or savage that’ll make them feel stupid.
That has a much bigger and longer-lasting impact than getting annoyed – and it’s way more fun.
Here are all of my best comebacks for annoying people!
Comebacks for Annoying People
Here are some funny, clever, cute, annoying, and most importantly effective comebacks for annoying people to make them go annoy someone else!
- “Every time you open your mouth and say something, I’m disappointed.”
- “I’m sorry, I don’t have time to listen to your boring stories right now. Maybe you should try writing a book instead.”
- “I think you should take your own advice and see how well you get on.”
- “Oh, I’m sorry – did I interrupt you while you were boring someone else?”
- “Don’t be ashamed of who you are. That’s your parents’ job.”
- “You bring everyone so much joy… after you leave the room.”
- “You just reminded me, I need to take the trash out when I get home.”
- “Being annoying is not a crime, so you’re free to leave now.”
- “It feels unfair to say anything witty to you as it just goes over your head.”
- “Are you always so annoying, or do you just show off when I’m around?”
- “If being annoying was a competition, you’d win every time.”
- “Sorry, what was that, did you say something?”
- “It’s amazing how annoying you are, it really is.”
- “I’m going, and yes, it was something you said.”
- “You are like a cloud. When you disappear, it’s a beautiful day.”
- “You’re more annoying than my little brother.”
- “I’m not sure what’s annoying me, what you’re saying or how you look at me.”
- “My day just took a turn for the worse, weird that.”
- “It’s true what everyone says about you.”
- “I wasn’t expecting much, but you’re even more disappointing than I imagined.”
Related – 25+ Comebacks for nosy people!
Some Do’s and Don’ts when Replying to Someone Who’s Annoying!
There are a lot of different ways you can respond to someone who is annoying.
Personally, I never want to offend or upset someone, no matter how annoying they are.
That’s just going to make me feel bad, it’s much better to take the high road and say something witty that’ll make them think about their behavior.
So, some of the do’s and don’ts I recommend when thinking up or using a comeback for someone who is annoying are:
Things that you should do:
- Keep your cool. Don’t let your emotions take over or you’ll be setting yourself up for them to be even more annoying as it gets a reaction.
- Come up with something witty and clever that will make them feel stupid.
- Be respectful and kind but firm, there is no need to be offensive.
Some things you shouldn’t do:
- Don’t take it personally that they’re annoying, that’ll only make you hold a grudge.
- Don’t insult them personally, it’s unkind and it’ll only make you end up looking like the bad guy.
- Don’t get angry and yell or speak badly about them with others, that’ll just make things worse.
At the end of the day, you want to fire back with a comeback that’s witty, a little harsh, and something that makes them realize they’re annoying.
I can’t promise anything will work in the long-term, however, as annoying people tend to either be ignorant to the fact that they’re annoying or simply not care!
Why Are Some People so Annoying and Irritating?
When we’re talking about annoying people, it’s important to note that there are usually underlying factors at work.
Some people may be dealing with an internal struggle or feeling insecure, or they may simply be stressed out and need to vent.
No matter the reason, it’s important to remember that most annoying people are not trying to be annoying and irritating on purpose.
Even though it might feel like they are if their comments are directed at you.
Often, it’s just a mix of personalities that clash, or someone isn’t socially aware or mature enough to realize how they’re being perceived.
This is why being understanding and compassionate is the best way to deal with annoying people, even if it’s difficult.
But that doesn’t mean you need to put up with their annoying behavior, you’re well within your rights to give them a witty comeback to put them in their place.
You should also think about distancing yourself from them to avoid being annoyed in the future, it’s much better not being annoyed at all than it is saying something cool back!
Image credits – depositphotos.com/stock-photo-couple-not-talking-after-an
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.