The saying ‘love has no boundaries or rules’ is true, but falling in love with a broke guy comes with its challenges!
While financial stability isn’t everything in a relationship, it certainly plays a part.
Here are 15 disadvantages of dating a broke man and how it can put a strain on your relationship and mental health:
- 15 Disadvantages of Dating a Broke Man
- 1. You’re Going to Be Footing the Bill When You Go Out
- 2. It’s Unlikely You’ll Be Surprised With Nice Gifts
- 3. They Might Always Be Financially Immature
- 4. They Don’t Fully Understand the Value of Money
- 5. They Harm Your Chances of Joint Purchases
- 6. They Will Always Be Moaning About Being Broke
- 7. Not Being Able to Manage Finances Is a Reflection of How They Manage Their Lives
- 8. They Probably Have Broke Friends
- 9. They’re Going to Be in A Rut That’s Hard to Break
- 10. They’ll Bring You Down Over Time if You’re Not Careful
- 11. The More You Give, the More They’ll Take
- 12. Your Friends Will Raise an Eyebrow
- 13. Special Occasions Aren’t as ‘Special’
- 14. It’s Going to Be the Cause of Arguments
- 15. You Might Never Get to Enjoy All the Things You Dream Of
- It’s Important to Look at Why a Guy Is Broke!
15 Disadvantages of Dating a Broke Man
1. You’re Going to Be Footing the Bill When You Go Out
This is the most obvious downside of dating a broke guy – when you go out you’ll be paying more often than not.
If he does manage to pay he probably means he’s borrowed some money or is getting himself into more debt, which never feels good.
2. It’s Unlikely You’ll Be Surprised With Nice Gifts
If your man is broke he’s not going to be able to afford to surprise you with lavish gifts or nights out.
You’ll have to get used to being the one doing the treating, which can feel a bit one-sided and frustrating.
3. They Might Always Be Financially Immature
There are a number of reasons why he might be broke, but more often than not it means a guy is financially irresponsible.
Or in other words, just bad with money.
This is a hard habit or way of thinking to turn around without professional help, so you need to keep in mind that he may always have financial issues.
4. They Don’t Fully Understand the Value of Money
If a guy is broke, there is also the risk that they don’t fully appreciate or understand the value of money.
This can be dangerous, not just for him but for you too if the two of you become serious.
You’ll need to be on your guard making sure he doesn’t make any bad financial decisions that have a negative impact on you, too.
5. They Harm Your Chances of Joint Purchases
There are a lot of things in life we want – or need – to buy with our partners, like cars, houses, holidays, and other expensive items.
If your guy is broke, he’s not going to be able to help you out with these things and that might mean you can’t buy some things at all.
In addition to this, he may have a bad credit rating that also reflects badly on you and your ability to make joint purchases.
6. They Will Always Be Moaning About Being Broke
If your man is always broke, he’ll be constantly moaning about it and this can get very tiresome, very quickly.
Guys – and gals – with financial problems often have low self-esteem and this can make them difficult to be around.
7. Not Being Able to Manage Finances Is a Reflection of How They Manage Their Lives
A guy who can’t manage his finances is likely to be someone who struggles to keep on top of other areas of their life, too.
He may be better at hiding it in other areas, but it’s often a reflection of his overall character and how he deals with stress and difficult situations.
8. They Probably Have Broke Friends
The saying goes that you’re the average of the five people you spend the most time with, and this is especially true when it comes to money.
If your man is broke, there’s a good chance his friends are in the same financial situation.
This means you’re likely to end up carrying more than just him and being surrounded by guys who also don’t have their act together.
9. They’re Going to Be in A Rut That’s Hard to Break
Being broke doesn’t feel good, let’s not mince our words here. Worse than that, however, is that it’s hard to get out of that rut.
Your man is likely to be stuck in a cycle of debt and low-paying jobs that are difficult to break free from.
Tell him to improve his situation isn’t going to be enough, it’s going to be a long hard road if he does want to turn his fortunes around.
10. They’ll Bring You Down Over Time if You’re Not Careful
I’ve touched on how being with a broke guy is frustrating and that it’ll pull you down over time.
It’s not just the financial drag you need to be wary of, however, it’s the emotional and psychological toll it can take as well.
You might find yourself getting depressed or anxious being around him, as his negative attitude starts to rub off on you.
11. The More You Give, the More They’ll Take
If you’re the one always having to foot the bill or help out financially, it can feel like you’re being taken advantage of.
It’s easy to get into the habit of always giving and worse still, broke guys aren’t able to give much back – no matter what they promise.
12. Your Friends Will Raise an Eyebrow
I’m not suggesting this is fair, in fact, it’s not, but it still happens.
If you’re dating a broke guy it’s likely your friends are going to judge you and think less of you.
I’m sure they only want the best for you, but having them on your back telling you that you can do better can become tiresome.
13. Special Occasions Aren’t as ‘Special’
You don’t always need money and expensive items to make birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions special.
However, it definitely doesn’t hurt.
If you’re used to being spoiled and having your guy pull out all the stops, dating a broke man is going to be something of a let down!
14. It’s Going to Be the Cause of Arguments
There are enough stressors in a relationship without money being one of them.
Unfortunately, when you’re dating a broke guy it’s likely that money is going to be the source of arguments between you.
It can be tough to avoid, especially if he gets resentful that you’re the one with money and he always has to ask you to help him out.
15. You Might Never Get to Enjoy All the Things You Dream Of
This one hurts if you stop to dwell on it.
When you’re with a broke guy and he’s clearly stuck in his bad habits, it’s likely that some of the things you dreamed of doing together will never happen.
It might be as simple as not being able to afford to go on certain vacations or eat in nice restaurants.
Or, it might be that you always envisioned getting married one day and having a family, but with his financial situation, that’s just not possible.
I’m not here to tell you if this should affect your relationship or not, I’ll leave that down to you to decide.
Obviously, there are many cliches around how money doesn’t buy happiness and it shouldn’t change how you feel about someone.
But there is no denying it has an impact on some level!
It’s Important to Look at Why a Guy Is Broke!
I’ve covered some of the disadvantages of dating a broke guy, but honestly, there are a lot of reasons why a guy might be broke – and they aren’t all bad!
If a guy is broke because he’s just bought a house, is in education, just entered the workforce, or some other reason that explains it, then it’s not necessarily a bad thing.
In these cases, he deserves a little leeway and it’s very possible he won’t be broke for long and things are going to change.
But, on the other hand, if he’s broke because he has a spending problem, is always blowing his money on frivolous things, or is too lazy to work, that’s a different story.
These are all things you need to think about when you’re considering whether or not to date a broke guy.
Of course, ultimately the decision is yours, but I hope this article has helped give you some food for thought!
Image credits – depositphotos.com/stock-photo-financial-troubles-in-marriage