If you’re tired I’m having people make comments about your body, size, and shape because you’re pregnant – these comebacks for rude pregnancy comments are for you!
Being pregnant is hard enough without having to deal with rude or inconsiderate comments and remarks.
Yet, for some reason, so many people find it difficult to resist making a comment when they can see someone is pregnant.
The strange thing is that it’s not socially acceptable to make comments on someone’s appearance or size when they’re not pregnant, and people rarely do so.
So why do people feel like they have a free pass just because someone is pregnant?
I can’t answer that question on behalf of everyone. But what I can do is equip you with a load of comebacks for rude pregnancy comments!
Below you’ll find plenty of comebacks, from witty to non-confrontational, passive-aggressive, humorous, and everything in between.
Comebacks for Rude Pregnancy Comments About Weight
If someone makes a comment about your weight, here are some comebacks that cover a range of emotions:
- You say that like you think I haven’t noticed I’m carrying this around?
- Take a guess at how many times I’ve heard that already today.
- Do you say to every pregnant woman you see?
- Have you ever had a positive comment from someone when you said that to them?
- Do you feel better about yourself when you comment on someone else’s weight?
- Thanks, at least I have an excuse, I guess…
- Are you saying that the baby is getting big, or that I’m getting big?
- You think this is big? These are early days.
- You should have seen me before I was pregnant.
- Thanks, same to you.
- It’s a good thing I’m not insecure or touchy about my weight, or I might say something back to you..
Related – Awesome comebacks for condescending remarks.
Snappy and Rude Comebacks to Pregnancy Comments
If you ever had the green light to make a rude comeback, it’s when you’re pregnant.
Hormones are at an all-time high, you’ve got good reason to be anxious and stressed, and it probably feels like the comments just never stop coming.
If you want to let rip with a rude comeback to make it clear that you don’t appreciate comments about your pregnancy, here are some to try:
- I could say something back to you, but I don’t think it would go down very well.
- I have to say, it’s a little odd getting a comment like that from someone like you.
- Is that the most intelligent thing you can say?
- Wit isn’t your forte, is it?
- Ever heard the saying; those who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones?
- Being pregnant is temporary, being fat, and being ugly is not.
- I don’t remember asking for your opinion.
- You clearly do not know what hormonal pregnant women are capable of.
Funny Comebacks When Someone Makes a Pregnancy Comment
Sometimes humor, sarcasm, or wit, is the best response to comments. It gets across your disdain while being non-confrontational or offensive.
If this is your preferred stance, here are some humorous and witty comebacks to try:
- I’m impressed that you’re able to notice, I mean, it’s pretty obvious, but still…
- You are very observant, I am indeed pregnant, yes, well done.
- It’s almost as if I’m growing another human, isn’t it?
- Have you tried growing another human inside of you? You’d be surprised at what happens.
- Wait, are you trying to tell me that I might be pregnant?
- I put a pillow under here, just because I like to get comments like that all day.
- You’ve just made my day, I really appreciate you taking the time to point out what I already knew.
- Are you having a bad day?
- You’re a practicing comedian, hey? Don’t give up the day job just yet.
- Thanks, but I’m not pregnant, you know.
Why Do People Comment On Pregnant Women’s Bodies?
For the most part, it’s socially accepted that people can make remarks about the pregnant woman’s body when they wouldn’t do so otherwise.
But take it from me – and just about any woman who has been pregnant – they could do without the comments.
If it’s someone that’s never been pregnant, it’s really hard to explain to them how vulnerable and anxious it feels to be pregnant.
Whether the comment is intended to be nice, it’s just a conversation opener, or there’s no thought behind it, it’s just not necessary. Trust me.
I get why most people do it. Expecting a child is one of the most exciting, magical, and thrilling experiences a woman and her partner will experience in their lifetime.
But it’s also a challenging time for most women, and hearing constant remarks doesn’t do anything to help.
So, if you walk away with one thing from this article, please, let it be that you just smile next time you see a pregnant woman and don’t say anything.
That says more than words – and will be much more appreciated.
Related – List of good comebacks for Jerks!
What Should You Not Say to a Pregnant Woman?
If you want to stay out of trouble – and not offend anyone – here is a shortlist of things you should never say to a pregnant woman, even with the best intentions:
- Was it planned?
- Can I touch your belly, please?
- It looks uncomfortable, how are you holding up?
- Wow, you’re so small I can hardly notice.
- How far along are you?
- Wow, you’re huge!
- How does it feel to be pregnant?
- Is it twins?
- I bet you’re looking forward to the day this is over?
- This is the easy part, wait until you have a screaming baby in your arms.
- Enjoy your life while you still can?
- You look great, all things considered.
- You look a little old/young to be having a baby?
- Is this your first one?
How Do You Respond to Rude Pregnancy Comments?
Honestly, the best way to respond to rude pregnancy comments is to simply smile and move on.
Be the bigger person, act with dignity, and so on.
But it’s not always that easy. If it was, there would never be any arguments, and there would probably be a lot more pent-up frustration.
I never encourage someone to respond to rude comments with one of their own and I may be a little biased here, but I think it’s perfectly fine for a pregnant woman to put a rude person in check sometimes.
After all, if you don’t do it, that person is only going to keep being ignorant and making rude comments – you can look at it like you’re doing the pregnant population a favor!
So, feel free to pick one of the comebacks from the lists above, and next time someone makes a comment about you being pregnant you can make a quick-witted response and let them know how you feel.
Image credits – Photo by Devon Divine on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.