Developing deep and meaningful relationships can take time. If you have friends, it doesn’t mean that they’re “strong” friendships. Some people would call them “acquaintances,” which indicates that you’re friendly with someone, but maybe not friends. These questions are designed to create more meaningful and deeper relationships with people that you already know.
- The best icebreaker questions for friends are: What words do you think define who you are? What are some values that your mom or dad have taught you? How is work going?
- The top funny icebreaker question is: Why is it so hard to tell when the yogurt has gone bad in the refrigerator?
- It can be a good idea to insert a funny dad joke in there to get things going. Like asking, “How much does a polar bear weigh?” Then say… Enough to break the ice!
According to an article on PychCentral (which was medically reviewed by Jennifer Litner, PhD, LMFT), meaningful qualities in a relationship include that feeling of “thoughtfulness” and “honesty.” A key way to develop these deep relationships is to ask questions. And see whether the other person is willing to open up.
As the two of you begin to share more, the exchange of trust begins. In this resource by Harvard University, they define the act of building trust as “when people believe they are interacting with the real you (authenticity), when they have faith in your judgment and competence (logic), and when they feel that you care about them (empathy).”
Funny icebreaker questions for your friends
- Do we think that Elon Musk is ever going to finish a project that he started?
- At what point do you think YouTube would tell you to stop watching?
- When is “too much” TikTok a real thing?
- Tell me a story without saying the word “um,” GO!
- You come into the possession of an illegal giraffe, how do you hide it?
- What’s your favorite day of the week and why?
- How much does a polar bear weigh? (Hint: enough to break the ice!)
- What’s your worst injury story?
- If someone passes gas in the car, how do you tell who did it?
- When do you think we knew that we were going to become friends?
- Is there something that I do that really annoys you?
- What’s the worst movie that you absolutely love for some reason?
- What was the most embarrassing thing that happened to you in school?
- Do you think there are actually aliens out there?
- When is “too much ice cream” really a thing?
Question to ask to get a deeper relationship
- Is there something about yourself that you’re working to improve right now?
- Have we ever talked about faith or religion?
- What’s something that you’re listening to on repeat right now?
- Where did you get that (insert clothing item here)?
- What are your plans for this weekend?
- Are there any values that you define yourself by?
- What’s the best piece of advice you ever got from your parents?
- Which celebrity would you marry and why would you marry them?
- Are there any things that really annoy you about people?
- How’s work going right now?
Hypothetical questions to ask your friends
- If you could own a house on a lake or in the mountains, which would you pick?
- If you could be any famous author, who would it be?
- If you could be any famous actor/actress, who would it be?
- If you could invent anything in the world, what would it have been?
- If you could go back in time 10 years, what’s the first thing you would do?
- If you won the lottery tomorrow, how would you spend your money?
- If you could change one thing about humanity, what would it be?
- If you got a pet dog or cat tomorrow, what would you name it?
- If you could pick any fun nickname for yourself, what would it be?
- If you could change your name to anything that you wanted, what would you change it to?
General questions to get a conversation going with your friend
- What’s your favorite drink for the summer?
- What country do you want to travel back to?
- Which songs do you have totally memorized?
- ARe you usually early or late?
- What takes up too much of your time?
- What movie title best describes your life?
- What job are you just extremely terrible at?
- When was the last time that you climbed a tree?
- What question would you ask the world if you woke up 100 years later after being totally cryogenically frozen?
- What’s the best way to start a day?
- What do you do to help get rid of stress?
- What’s the best thing about work right now?
- What’s the worst thing about work right now?
- What’s the best thing about school right now?
- What’s the worst thing about school right now?
- Is there anyone that you have a crush on?
- When was the last time that you asked someone for help?
- What’s a unique superpower that you would want to have?
- How do you feel about ranch dressing?
- What’s your take on mayonnaise?
- What’s the most hated fruit or vegetable?
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.