Wondering how to tell your boss you’re sick via text message?
As long as you know you’re able to inform your boss via text that you’re sick, you have nothing to be anxious about!
Sending a text is much easier than having to speak to your boss, it’s quicker, and you have a record of what you said and they responded.
I’m even going to provide you with some examples you can copy and paste (changing some key details, of course)!
Can I Text My Boss I’m Sick?
It’s never been an issue everywhere I’ve worked to text in when taking a sick day, but you’ll need to check your own company policy on it.
If your company has a policy in place about texting in general, whether it be for work purposes or personal, then use that as a guide.
For example, if they allow you to text colleagues but not clients, then stick to texting colleagues only.
The same goes for if they have a policy in place about calling in sick. Don’t guess or assume anything, breaking company policy for the sake of skipping a call for a text isn’t worth it.
If you’re unsure, you can always ask a trusted colleague or your HR department before sending a text to your boss about being sick.
If you’re not sure, but your boss has given you their phone number, Whatsapp handle, or another form of contacting them before, this is a good sign that they’ll be ok with it.
Related – Here’s what to say when calling in sick with diarrhea.
How to Tell Your Boss You’re Sick By Text Message
When you do text your boss to say you’re sick, it’s important to remember a few key things:
- Be courteous and professional, don’t use text slang and emojis!
- Keep it short and to the point
- You don’t have to go into too much detail about your illness if you’re not comfortable doing so
- Let them know how long you think you’ll be out for and when you’ll next contact them
- If there is anything important you’re going to miss, try and let them know how to cover for you
- Thank them in advance
Even if you have a fun and personable relationship with your boss, my advice is to keep your work-related texts as professional as possible.
You never know if your texts will need to be seen by HR or if a copy will be placed on your file.
The last thing you want is for someone else to review your file, like a new boss taking over, only to see jokes, slang, and sick emojis!
Example Text Messages to Send to Your Boss When You’re Sick
Don’t stress too much over what you’re going to say. As long as you cover the key bits of information and adhere to the tips above, you’ll be fine.
Here are a few examples of texts you can send to your boss when you’re sick:
- “Hi [Boss’s Name], I’m sorry to let you know that I’m feeling unwell and won’t be able to come into work today. I’ll keep you updated on my progress.”
- “Hi [Boss’s Name], unfortunately, I’m not feeling well and won’t be able to come into work today. I’ve arranged for [co-worker] to cover for me.”
- “Good morning [Boss’s Name], I hope you’re well. I’m sorry to say that I’m unwell and won’t be able to come into work today. Is there a time we can catch up on a call later today? “
- “[Boss’s Name], I’m so sorry but I won’t be able to come into work today as I’m feeling unwell. I’ll keep you posted and be back in touch soon.”
- “Hi [Boss’s Name], I’ve woken up feeling awful, I’m not going to be able to make it in, I’ll let you know what my Dr says.”
Once You’ve Texted Your Boss To Say You’re Sick
Assuming everything went well and your boss received and accepted your text, there are a few things you should do next:
- Get better! Rest up, drink plenty of fluids, follow the advice of your doctor, and do whatever it takes to get better as soon as possible.
- Keep your boss updated on your progress and when you think you’ll be back in. A general rule of thumb is to wait until you’re feeling better to text them again or once each day.
- If you have any deadlines or projects coming up, try and rearrange them if possible. If not, let your boss know what the status is and when they can expect an update from you.
- Upon your return to work, make sure you apologize for being out and thank them for their understanding.
I’m sure you’ll find that as long as you acted in the correct manner, everyone will be excited to see you back and that you’re feeling well.
Laws and Regulations Around Sick Days
I can’t write this post without mentioning that you need to be aware of the laws and regulations around taking sick days in the State, or Country where you’re working.
For example, ou may be eligible for something called the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.
If you’re texting in for the first time ever to say you’re sick, I know how daunting it can feel – we’ve all been there.
However, I hope this guide has given you the confidence to deal with telling your boss you’re sick by text message.
While it may seem daunting, as long as you’re polite, professional and to the point, everything should go smoothly.
And remember, if in doubt, always check with HR!
Sources we used to verify the information in this post:
Indeed.com – how to call out of work
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Workest – What Is the Average Number of Sick Days in the U.S.?
Image credits – Photo by Magnet.me on Unsplash
Phil lives in England, UK, and has around 20 years experience as a professional life, career and executive coach. He started this blog to help others find and define their own self development journey. Blogging about a wide range of topics to help facilitate a better future.
2 thoughts on “How to Tell Your Boss You’re Sick Text Message (w/ Examples)”
Wow Thats a wonderfull information.
Thanks it really Helps