Office romances and crushes are almost always complicated.
If your romantic interest is your boss, this adds an extra complication – and it can quickly turn bad if not managed correctly.
The first thing you need to get right is whether or not your boss likes you in that way.
To help you understand if your boss does like you, here are 21 signs to look out for that indicate your boss does like you romantically.
- 21 Signs Your Boss Likes You Romantically
- 1. They’re Always Checking Where You Are
- 2. They Show an Interest in You Personally
- 3. You Just Have a Gut Feeling That They Like You
- 4. They Make Physical Contact With You
- 5. They’re Flirty With You
- 6. They Schedule Meetings for Just the Two of You
- 7. You’re Getting Preferential Treatment Over Your Coworkers
- 8. They Confide in You About Personal Things
- 9. They’ve Invited You to Meet Up Out of Work
- 10. You Keep Catching Them Looking at You
- 11. They Remember Little Things You Tell Them
- 12. They Find You Funnier Than Other People Do
- 13. They Compliment You
- 14. They’ve Given You Gifts
- 15. Your Coworkers Are Telling You They Can Tell Your Boss Likes You
- 16. They’ve Started Taking More Effort in Their Appearance
- 17. They Have Started Distancing Themselves From You
- 18. They’ve Been Asking Your Coworkers About You
- 19. They Smile at You a Lot (And Not Other People)
- 20. They Want to Know if You’re Single
- 21. They’ve Told You That They Like You!
21 Signs Your Boss Likes You Romantically
1. They’re Always Checking Where You Are
If your boss is always wanting to know your whereabouts, it could be a sign that they’re interested in you.
This is especially true if they don’t have a reason to check up on you and it’s not part of their job to do so.
2. They Show an Interest in You Personally
If your boss takes an interest in you as a person, and not just an employee, it could be a sign that they’re interested in you.
They may ask about your family, your hobbies, and your personal life. Some people are just personable, you’ll know if they’re showing special interest in you.
3. You Just Have a Gut Feeling That They Like You
We should all listen to our gut more often. If your gut tells you that your boss likes you, there’s a good chance that they do.
This isn’t foolproof, but it is usually a pretty good indicator when you take how you feel into account with various other signs.
4. They Make Physical Contact With You
This is a big one. If your boss is making physical contact with you, it’s definitely a sign that they like you.
They may touch your arm or shoulder when they talk to you, or give you hugs goodbye or hello.
Some bosses are just touchy-feely people in general, but it’s certainly not normal behavior and is likely a sign that they like you a lot, if not romantically.
5. They’re Flirty With You
If your boss is being flirty with you, it’s a pretty clear sign that they like you. They may even make (slightly) inappropriate jokes, compliments, or innuendos.
If this makes you feel uncomfortable, however, it’s definitely not something you should tolerate.
6. They Schedule Meetings for Just the Two of You
If your boss schedules regular one-on-one meetings with you, it’s a sign that they want to spend time with you.
This is especially true if the meetings don’t seem to serve any real purpose other than to catch up!
7. You’re Getting Preferential Treatment Over Your Coworkers
If you feel like you’re getting preferential treatment from your boss, such as being given better assignments or more opportunities to shine, it could be a sign that they like you.
This isn’t always the case – sometimes people are just good at their job – but it’s something to take into consideration.
8. They Confide in You About Personal Things
If your boss is confiding in you about personal things, it’s a sign that they trust you and it’s likely a sign they like you.
They may tell you about their relationship problems, family drama, or other personal issues.
This is definitely not something that bosses would (or should) share with just any employee!
9. They’ve Invited You to Meet Up Out of Work
If your boss has invited you to meet up outside of work, it’s a pretty big sign that they’re interested in you.
This could be for coffee, lunch, or even after-work drinks. If they’re asking you to meet up one-on-one, it’s an even bigger sign that it’s you they’re interested in.
10. You Keep Catching Them Looking at You
If you keep catching your boss looking at you, it could be a sign that they find you attractive.
This is especially true if they look away quickly when you catch them staring and there wasn’t anything they wanted you for.
11. They Remember Little Things You Tell Them
If your boss remembers things you’ve told them, it’s a sign that they care about you and are interested in you.
This could be something as small as what your favorite coffee is or where you went on vacation, they wouldn’t remember if they didn’t care.
12. They Find You Funnier Than Other People Do
Laughing is a sign of attraction, so if your boss finds you funnier than other people, it’s definitely a sign that they’re interested in you.
If they are the only person laughing at your jokes, just don’t start thinking that you’re a comedian in the making!
13. They Compliment You
If your boss is constantly complimenting you, it’s a sign that they like you. They may say things like you’re doing a great job, you look nice today, or that they’re impressed with your work.
While it’s always nice to receive compliments, it’s definitely something to take into consideration if it’s coming from your boss.
14. They’ve Given You Gifts
If your boss has given you gifts, it’s a sign that they like you. It’s far from normal for a boss to give out gifts, so this is always a strong sign for me.
These gifts don’t have to be expensive, it’s the thought and gesture that counts. It could be anything from a coffee or a book, to something unique.
15. Your Coworkers Are Telling You They Can Tell Your Boss Likes You
Sometimes it’s easier for people on the outside to see what’s really going on.
If your coworkers are telling you that they can tell your boss likes you, it’s probably because they can!
Pay attention to the way your boss treats you in comparison to other people and see if there’s a difference.
Related – How to tell when a coworker really likes you!
16. They’ve Started Taking More Effort in Their Appearance
If your boss has started putting more effort into their appearance, it could be a sign that they’re trying to impress you.
This may include dressing nicer, wearing more makeup/cologne, or working out more.
17. They Have Started Distancing Themselves From You
While this may seem like a bad sign, it could actually be a good one.
If your boss is distancing themselves from you, it could be because they’re trying to control their feelings for you.
They may be worried that they’re getting too close to you and don’t want to ruin your working relationship, think you’re not interested, or have some other reason.
18. They’ve Been Asking Your Coworkers About You
If your boss has been asking your coworkers about you, it’s a sign that they want to find out more about you and are probably interested.
This could be anything from what your hobbies are, the things you like, or how you’re doing at work.
19. They Smile at You a Lot (And Not Other People)
Smiling is a sign of happiness and can also be a sign of attraction. It’s certainly not the norm within the workplace
If your boss is smiling at you more than other people, it’s a strong sign that they like you – it’s just a matter of how much.
20. They Want to Know if You’re Single
If your boss is trying to find out if you’re single, I think it’s fair to say that they’re interested in getting to know more about you.
While this could just be innocent small talk, it’s definitely something to take note of as it’s not normal professional talk.
21. They’ve Told You That They Like You!
This is the most obvious sign of all – if your boss has told you that they like you, no matter how they did so, take notice.
It could be something as small as them telling you that they think you’re attractive, or it could be more direct and to the point.
It’s certainly not normal for a boss to tell an employee they like them in any way other than strictly a working relationship between them as your boss, and you as a subordinate.
Image credits – Photo by LinkedIn Sales Solutions on Unsplash